Friday, August 7, 2009

DAY 9 & 10: Rubbed The Wrong Way, Reading Guinnee Pigs, and First Cuts



DAY NINE and TEN have been non-stop. We've actually started cutting into our projects which means we are putting in double time so that we can somewhat finish them by Friday. PK is trying to console us by saying that most people are lucky if they glue up by Friday, but I'm hoping that I can get this done and ship it out so I don't have to take it on the plane back to SF with me. I wasn't expecting this class to be stressful, but I keep having these moments of panic where I think I'm cutting the wrong thing, then I realize I'm doing what I should be, just to have that panic grab me again. Needless to say there is a lot riding on finishing this project.

These past few days have started early, 7am or so, and ending late, 10pm-ish. But it's hard to stop when each step of the process is so rewarding. I can't adequately describe the satisfaction of fitting a joint and having all the pins and tails line up, but its a lot like trying on a perfect pair of jeans, or biting into a ripe nectarine, or building a replica of the golden gate bridge out of Lego's.

On top this busy schedule I'm also being a guinea pig of PK's new book. I feel pretty lucky that I'm getting to read the first two chapters and I have to say so far it's really good. Bill B, who's an English teacher, also gets to be a guinea pig. PK's book is half memoir half philosophy of craft, and without giving anything away, the history of craft and the way craft has changed in just the past 130 years is really fascinating, well at least PK's interpretation of it is. If you want to read more on craft I'm pretty sure that for Mondays post I left a little list of good books to read. If you have any suggestions feel free send them to me.

I don't want to get too off topic, so back to class, Tuesday we had a lecture on abrasives. What I learned was, hand plane your wood and you wont have to worry about sanding. Really I learned quite a bit more, but you can probably find out all you want to know yourself on the Internet.

As a group we went to Suzuki's Sushi Bar in Rockland. We start everyday out with restaurant reviews and Suzuki averaged a solid 8. The prices were fair, and the food was good. I would recommend the rolls, the noodle dishes were, meh. They carried some great beers including one of my favorites, Hitachino Nest. Do the Hitachino White.

Suzuki's
I mentioned earlier that we started our projects on Tuesday, by Wednesday they were starting to look like furniture.

Starting our projects (Near to Far: Daniel, Marie, Bill P.)

(Near to Far: Bill B., Francis, Phil)





I love Marie's sweeping dovetail pattern










No comments: