Wednesday, July 29, 2009

DAY 2: Haunch, Sholders, Cheeks, and Ears




DAY TWO again started with a lecture, this time on joinery.  Luckily the background was much nicer clear sunny skies could be seen through the windows that bookend the lecture board.  PK went over the strengths and weaknesses of the Mortis and Tennon, Bridal, Butt, Rabbit and Dado, Allen Peters, and Dovetail joints.  We had a demonstration of cutting out a Mortis and Tennon which PK made seem easy.  WRONG!  Chiseling out a mortis requires a dexterity I haven't yet aquired, same with using the engeneer's square so that you can see if the mortis is straight up and down, by the time I get the two tools situated and try to hold it against the wood I drop one of the tools.  Unlike chisel sharpening though, using the chisel to cut wood is very satisfiying.  If I learned anything today its that I have a lot to learn.  The path to being a woodworker isn't the short stroll through the feild I thought it was going to be, but more like a long streach of highway along the beautiful feild and way of in the distance is the entrance visible only in theory.  


Diagram for tenons.
My First Tennon.  If you need any birthday gift ideas, anything in the background of this picture would be fine.

Marking out a Mortis.

















My first 3 Mortis and Tennon Joints.  I know your impressed!

No comments: